Tuesday 24 July 2012

Day 1 - Comment on Cecilia Aponte-De-Hanna's article

As a L2 and L3 learner, I found the article interesting, in that after almost 20 years that I have been learning, practicing and improving my French and English, the most challenging skill for me has been the "listening" skill.

When six years ago I took the IB TOEFL exam, surprisingly my lowest mark was the listening part. After having read this article, I'm wondering whether this weakness is related to the lack of enough practice or the lack of knowledge about strategies.

I liked the idea of knowing the students' level of awarness of strategies and help them to learn the other strategies they haven't learn't yet. However, I would like to have a very concret example of each case, that I could use in my own classroom.

I also liked how the author considers different L2 learners' level and the adaptation required for each student, but again, I would like to know how I could incorporate these theories into practice.

To conclude, based on my experience as an L2 learner and as an FSL and French Immersion student-teacher, Listening skill is usually not taken into consideration as seriously as the other skills and it is important for a L2 language  teacher to learn the strategies that improve listening and teach them to his/her students.

No comments:

Post a Comment